“For the company, the formation of the gambling market is not a problem but a challenge”
Vadym Misiura, Public Relations Director of Parimatch Ukraine, said in an interview how gambling licensing will change the rules of the game for the entire market, and sports and other areas will get an additional chance for development and prosperity.
2021 promises to be even more eventful in gambling. At the same time, three large-scale processes have been launched to ensure the viability of the new industry. We are talking about the beginning and improvement of the work of the market regulation commission, the issuance of licenses to business representatives and the adoption of a bill on tax liberalization.
– Your company has received the first and, so far, the only bookmaking license from the regulator. What will this change for your company?
– Licensing is a turning point for the entire industry. However, I would like to note that the Parimatch brand has been supporting and developing sports in Ukraine for many years together with football clubs, federations, and state institutions.
This means that key areas such as patronage, corporate social responsibility and support for sports remain a priority of our activities. We are perceived as patrons precisely because we sought and found opportunities to support national sports in conditions of limited resources in the country.
We became the first and currently the only organization to receive a bookmaker’s license. Now we can return to our main activity – bookmaking (sports betting). This will allow us, as a socially responsible business, to replenish the state budget, create jobs, support various areas of the humanitarian sphere, develop and implement comprehensive IT solutions and provide customers with extensive information about the responsible game.
– What difficulties can Parimatch face in forming the gambling market?
– For the company, most of these are not problems, but challenges. I will explain why:
- Market launch. In fact, there has been no market in recent years, and there is no practice in this area, ie you have to form yourself, learn from your own practice, analyze indicators, create new creative and try again. At present, no technical regulation has been approved, which determines the procedure for certification, and there is no explanation of how to work for gambling organizers in this transitional period before the approval of these regulations. I would like to get answers to these questions as soon as possible.
- Tax bill. Prior to the introduction of the state online monitoring system for betting activities, there is a triple license fee, which is many times higher than in other types of gambling. The triple license fee was seen as a compromise, the high cost of the license, tax holidays for businesses until 01.01.2024, reduced tax on gross gaming income and the abolition of the player tax. But now the situation with the tax bill has dragged on, and there is no understanding when the issues regarding these changes will be resolved. There is some momentum to reduce the tax from 18% to 10% in the draft law №2713d, but this should be embodied in legislative changes, which do not currently exist. At the same time, in 2713d, it is proposed to consider, in particular, the abolition of the triple license fee.
- Stereotypes and myths. Let me remind you that the market in Ukraine has not functioned for more than 11 years for various, in my opinion, not objective reasons. During this time, due to the influence of a number of political forces and the spread of certain statements, people have formed a stereotype that gambling is an evil, that money from the family will be gambled, and so on. Studying this topic, we decided to analyze international markets. So, the numbers collected from around the world reflect a different reality. The level of addiction (dependence on gaming activity – ed .) among people who participate in gambling, reaches only 1% of players.
Parimatch, as a socially responsible company, wants every citizen to first understand that betting is a form of leisure (like going to the movies), not a way to earn money. Second: it is important to us that each player treats himself and his family responsibly. Yes, the company has already developed the principles of responsible play, according to which a person can assess the situation, analyze whether it becomes addictive, and find effective solutions for themselves.
Read about the development of Ukrainian sports, the visit of Conor McGregor and Mike Tyson to Kyiv, special projects and the attitude to betting in an expanded version of the interview on Ukrinform website .
The funds paid by the company will go to support sports, medicine and education.
Achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals is a challenge for market leaders around the world.
The marketing team of Parimatch Ukraine received the highest recognition in the advertising in the "Entertainment" field.